Friday, December 14, 2007

Rejoicing and Weeping

I have been reading a book about the "apostle of prayer," John Hyde (better known as Praying Hyde). I recently read that Praying Hyde believed that as the Lord deepends our souls to be filled with greater joy, He cannot do so without deepening our souls to experience greater, deeper sorrow - sorrow over sin and sorrow over other's pain. I have been praying that the Lord would deepen the well of my soul to experience deeper joy and deeper sorrow. Romans 12:15 says, "Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep." No verse better captures a more practical way of loving others in whatever place they are in life. My heart has been so void of such compassion in the past, and how much more so it needs to be filled with greater compassion! I have seen an immediate answer to my prayer, for recently while many friends and family have been experiencing overwhelming pain, sorrow, confusion, and fear, I have found that my heart has been breaking in sorrow over their pain and that I have been flooded with tears and anguish as I lift them up before the Lord in prayer. O that I would now be flooded with tears and anguish over my own sin and sin in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment