Saturday, December 29, 2007

English Muffins

For as long as I can remember I have always loved English muffins. When I was a little kid, I would ask my mom if there was food in heaven; and if there was, I told her that I would eat fried eggs and English muffins for all eternity. Needless to say, whenever I have eaten English muffins, it has always been a bittersweet experience, for I know that once I finish the English muffin, it means that I am one English muffin closer to finishing off the bag, which for me is always a heartbreaking moment. Even though I experience the most heavenly bliss as I eat them, I am simultaneously flooded with a melancholic awareness that the ecstasy would soon end, and if I want more, I would have to pay out the nose to buy another bag at the grocery store. Who wants to pay $2.50 for a bag of six Thomas English Muffins?!

The reason I have told you all this is because it will help you understand how enthralled I am that I have now discovered the most glorious solution to my (now) late heart-wrenching conflict! I have discovered that I can make English muffins in my own kitchen!!! I hope you understand that to me, this is better than discovering the Holy Grail, the Fountain of Youth, even the Garden of Eden itself!

Earlier this morning I made my very first batch of English muffins. They were much too dense than I had hoped for, but they still tasted like English muffins. If anyone has any idea how to get dough to rise really well and make those little tiny bubble holes for which English muffins are world renowned, please let me know! An interesting thing to note about baking English muffins - you actually do it over a skillet. I would never have guessed. Anyway, I will periodically keep you posted as I continue to improve on making English muffins.



3 comments:

  1. Levi,

    Uncle Mark and I are enjoying your Blog; especially photos of your family and sweet Phoebe. We have fallen in love with her and can’t wait to meet her.

    Regarding English Muffins, a good friend of mine who is a professional bread baker has offered a couple of suggestions to help create those famous nooks and crannies of the beloved English Muffins. 1) Don’t over mix your bread dough, 2) make sure your leaven is fresh, and 3) be sure to use the correct amount of leaven.

    That’s it. Let me know if it helps. Any chance you’d share your yummy recipe?

    Happy baking and love to you all, Aunt Sherrill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want your recipe! I share your affinity for English muffins and would just love to be able to save that painful $2.50 and enjoy that taste fresh! I am pleased to know there is another person out there who experiences the same emotions while nibbling on this tasty treat.
    Becky Scheel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

    ReplyDelete