Friday, December 28, 2007

God Himself

A sister in Christ, for whom my heart breaks because of the pain and fear her and her family are currently enduring as she battles with cancer treatment, recently wrote this: "George MacDonald is so right. It’s not what God can give me that I want, it’s God Himself. He can give me so much. He has given me so much. But even if He gave me my normal life back tomorrow, it would mean nothing without God Himself. That is where the true rest comes, and while there is a physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual turmoil in my soul, there is One stronger within me than all this. He is the One that keeps my soul from suffocating under the oppressive fatigue. He is the One Who surrounds me with His light even when the dark clouds come."

Whenever I am faced with painful, trying circumstances, I often find myself praying that God would "give me this" or "give me that," and that if God were to give me those things, then everything would be ok. But what a lie from the pit of hell that is! What is life without being filled with God Himself? I read this morning in Psalm 37, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desire of your heart." What is the true desire of my heart but to bask in the celestial glory of God Himself! His love alone is better than life. And praise God that He has an unrelenting grip on my soul, for were I not bound to Christ by His redeeming blood, I would so recklessly and unabashedly seek anything but Him! Oh that I would delight myself in the Lord so that the desire of my heart would be satisfied in the river of His delights!

"How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights." - Psalm 36:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment