Thursday, August 07, 2008

I knew it would hit me...

As I got all packed up and said goodbye to everyone in Harrisonburg I was aware of the fact that I was not emotionally present. I think there was too much going on with preparing to move that my heart got left a few days behind. People would ask me things like, "Are you sad about leaving?" I did not feel sad at the time, but I knew that the reality that I was leaving my home would eventually catch up with me sometime. Well, it hit me yesterday, August 6th, at about 3pm, shortly after leaving Hardesty. I think the vast, empty prairie of nothingness reminded me that I was truly away from home and that so much of what I held dear was left behind me, leaving me to feel very alone, small, and scared. I was slowly engulfed in a wave of deep sadness over leaving my home in Harrisonburg - a home I loved so dearly. I l welcomed the grief because it was good, felt wonderful, and was so cathartic. Some people avoid crying and feeling sad like the plague, but I love it. Within the sadness there is a deep joy that comes from having people and a place to love, and being loved in return. Oh, how I miss my home, but praise be to God that I have an eternal home in his warm, loving embrace!

1 comment:

  1. You know the famous line "Home is where the heart is?" Well, what isn't said is how some of your heart is left behind when the physical home changes. But then the heart heals. Connects with a new home over time. Years pass.. what about that piece of your heart you left behind? It's still there. You'll always have a home out here, Coles.

    ReplyDelete